-A.S. I’m getting in on this ACL Preview coverage with no slap bet in place. Zack will have no chance to compose a song about slapping me. For the record, the last time I raised a hand to Zack he paid me not to hit him. True story.
1. Foo Fighters – Probably number two on my list of musicians I most want to see right now behind Paul McCartney. Dave Grohl would probably be the face of the franchise on my man crush team.
2. John Fogerty – I can thank my dad for my love of classic rock. CCR is one of my dad’s favorites, and I grew up listening to them. Zack Marks from Bumpus assured me that Fogerty rocked when they recently opened for him.
3. David Bryne – I’ve been big on catching rock legends this summer, so it should be no surprise that I have him ranked this high. Like Zack, I am hoping for more Talking Heads than solo material.
4. Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings – I’ve been trying to see them all summer, and it just keeps falling through. Hurricane Ike couldn’t keep me from this show (too soon?).
5. N.E.R.D. – These guys stole the show on the Glow in the Dark tour. I have been looking forward to seeing them again ever since that night. I’m predicting these guys will fall on my favorite shows list after the fest as well.
6. Beck – I’m not as big of a Beck fan as Zack, but I definitely dig him. I saw Robert Plant & Allison Krauss at Bonnaroo, so there is no conflict here for me. I’ve never seen Beck.
7. Erykah Badu – I caught a concert of hers on the Music HD channel not that long ago. It was really great. Can’t wait for this late afternoon set.
8. Jamie Lidell – Zack’s right, this guy may just make my man crush team. I’ve been listening to Jim since Lollapalooza. Can’t wait to see him again at ACL, and I’m hoping for a reprise of the Raiden hat from his sax player.
9. Neko Case – I’m not at all familiar with her solo work, but I’m a big fan of the New Pornographers. She was missed at Summer Camp, and I’m glad we’ll get a chance to check her out at ACL.
10. The Fratellis – I only really knew these guys from their iPod commerical when I picked up their new album, Here We Stand. It rocks, and I was bummed I missed out on a show recently here in Chicago at the House of Blues.
The Best of the Rest: Gnarls Barkley (hate to say it Zack, but I probably won’t hit up the Rancoteurs), Galactic, Blues Traveler, Vampire Weekend, Hot Chip, the Black Keys