@ZackTeibloom SXSW Music officially starts Wednesday, but someone forgot to tell Tuesday. The highlight was Metric at Fader Fort (before it officially becomes Fader Fort) and the free drinks were a flowing everywhere. Ahh, SXSW I’ve missed you so. Here’s a little breakdown of day one.
- Metric was an assault on the senses. Big light show, powerful instrumentation, dance-fueling rock with some fire. Emily Haines instantly catapulted herself into the pantheon of female front-women along with Alison Mossheart and Karen O. Make it a point to see Metric whenever possible. 9.4/10
- Jakob Dylan and Neko Case was a strong show. The cowboy hats should have tipped you off that it was going to be a country set. The stand-up bass and sit down slide guitar were a nice touch, but it would have been nice to see more Neko. She was one of two back-up singers and didn’t make her presence felt much. 8.3/10
- Harpor Blynn: Strong harmonies, solid song writing, if not altogether captivating. 7.2/10
As @den_mom so eloquently put it, “It’s Disneyland for adults.” She forgot to mention “on acid” and pumped full of free booze. Her boy @supercooleric captured the venue perfectly in this video:
- Waterloo’s White Stripes listening party was like any other week. There’s more foreign accents in the stores, but you wouldn’t notice many other differences. Don’t be afraid of in-store performances. Schedule here.
- Short lines to check in: Fader Fort took about 10-15 minutes & the press line was less than 5.
- Long lines to get into venues: It goes without saying that you’ll want VIP. Being able to skip the mammoth Pure Volume line was so clutch. If you have to budge a little, do it. You don’t want to waste this week in lines. That said, Fader Fort was quite short without budging. Expect that to change.
- Don’t settle for the first free food and drinks you get. I ate free pizza and cherry flavored vodka before realizing I could be sipping on “platinum” and eating prime rib and shrimp. Shop around. There’s not only such a thing as a free lunch, there’s a ton of them. Hold out for the best.