@ZackTeibloom Austin’s biggest festival announces their line-up tomorrow. Can we wait until then to try to guess it? Of course not. We’ve been scouring the Internet looking for clues official and unofficial. And with our friends at Consequence of Sound and Two Groove, we’ve got a decent grasp on this festival. We can pretty much count on M.I.A. making us do the fake gun hand motion during “Paper Planes,” we know Spoon will make us go Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga for them all over again, Band of Horses will have us swooning and The Eagles will… well, they’ll be there too. Your parents might be excited.
But what about Phish or Eminem? Can Austin finally get a Texas-sized dose of Phish? Will Em show us the festival love he showed New Orleans last year?
I broke it down into “Count on it,” “Chronicle clues,” “Other Austin Clues,” “Likely” and “Long shot.”
Count on it: They’ll be there. You can make a poster now if you want.
- Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue – It’s on the Verve Music Group website.
- Robert Earl Keen – Has a “Zilker Park” show in October listed on the Lost Highway Records site.
- Pat Green – On Pollstar, Pat Green has a “Zilker Park” date on Oct 10.
- The National- NYT already confirmed.
Chronicle clues: Unless they’re completely messing with us, (why would they?) these Austin Chronicle clues spell out 5 big name bands who will be at ACL. I’ve seen all except The Eagles and they’re all quite strong live. I just there’s another headliner at the same time as Frey and company.
- The Eagles- “I Gotta Peaceful, easy feeling”
- Soundgarden- “Fell On, Black Days”
- M.I.A. – “Eveyrone’s a winner, we’re making our fame”
- Band of Horses – “When I lived alone, is there a ghost in my house?”
- Spoon – “I can see it all from here From just a few glimpses”
Other Austin Clues:
- Muse – Reference to “Uprising” posted outside Stubb’s.
- Flaming Lips- “Do You Realize” lyrics on poster. (Thanks BC!)
- Passion Pit – Passion Pit is opening for Muse on their tour…
- Phoenix – Apparently been said on Mix 94.7
- The Black Keys – They’ll be on tour until mid-October and have a conspicuous absence from 10/04 to 10/10. Safe to say they’re a Friday or Saturday band.
- The Flaming Lips – Another Mix 94.7 rumor, plus there is a break in their show dates. They will be in the UK in mid-Sept and then Florida on Oct 13. Gotta love those suspicious gaps.
- Eminem – He headlined Voodoo Fest last year and his name has been floating around for ACL, but no one can come close to confirming it.
- Phish- There’s this rumor floating around based on this but frankly I just don’t see it. No one plays that long at ACL, they’d need two days to make it worth them making a super rare trip to Texas. I can’t picture them at a non-camping festival. I can’t picture the crowd. I just can’t picture it. Please surprise me.
Also: I’d like to see RHCP, Jack White in any form, Arcade Fire, Tenacious D, Ween, OK now I’m just throwing bands I like out there. See you tomorrow.