@AndyShore LA will be rolling on the Sabbath this weekend as the Electric Daisy Carnival comes to town. The festival is chock full of untz as some of the biggest DJs around fill out this line up. This will be a new experience for me as a Festival Crasher. Usually these types of sets are reserved for the middle of the night, post headliners. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy them. I’ve seen MSTRKRFT, Girl Talk and Tiesto put on phenomenal late night sets at festivals in the last year alone. Reports of Deadmau5 at Coachella and Bonnaroo were excellent too. Here is my top 5 list of sets I am looking forward to this weekend at Electric Daisy Carnival.
5. Duck Sauce: This is an A-Track side project with Armand Van Helden. If you haven’t seen their video, watch it now. If you don’t understand why I’m looking forward to seeing them after seeing it, you should probably just stop reading this post now.
4. will.i.am: The Black Eyed Peas beat man has also produced some of the biggest hits of the last half a decade. I imagine his set can’t have the same energy and production of the Black Eyed Peas, but this set should be fun regardless.
3. MSTRKRFT: These guys hit you with synth bass sounds that rumble your balls. Seeing them live is almost a let down and it has nothing to do with the music. They come at you with such an epic sound, but up close, they’re two guys that chain smoke cigs and swill Crown Royal from the bottle. Seeing that would be like finding out that Michael Jordan is a degenerate gambler and adulterer. Oh wait. That being said, their late night Coachella set was incredible, with the 4th of July fireworks as a backdrop…and I still love Michael Jordan.
2. Deadmau5: Probably deserves to be number one, and I am quite intrigued by Deadmau5. People left Jay Z for his set at Coachella and @ShiftyWhiteGuy had great things to say about the set at Bonnaroo. I saw more Deadmau5 shirts at Coachella than any other band at the line up. I don’t really know what to expect going in, except a good time.
1. Travis x A-Track: I am sad that I never had the pleasure of seeing Travis and DJ AM live. The set they released from Coachella 2009 is pure fire. A-Track is no slouch. I danced/hobbled to his set at Lollapalooza 2009 and also saw him as Kanye’s DJ for the Glow in the Dark tour. I saw Travis Barker fly over the crowd for his drum solo during the Blink 182 encore last summer. His YouTube video remixes are super fun to watch. The man is a beast behind the kit. With respect to Pretty Lights and DJ Zeke, Travis and anybody he plays with is the best DJ/drummer combo around.
Moby deserves an honorable mention on this list. He is scheduled to start at the same time as Travis x A-Track, and so I knew I wouldn’t be going there. Upon further review of the schedule, Moby plays for an hour after their set ends. I’m going to try and catch the tail end of his set as well.